ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Follow-up with Fredo...
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:39 pm 

Fredo wrote:
I asked the aforementioned expert some technical questions about reinfection and the limitations of memory cells with HPV, and will indeed share any wisdom she imparts.

Best,
Fredo

Hi Fredo,

Checking in to see if your expert friend had anything to say about whether a person can be re-infected down the road with the SAME strain of HPV, or does the immune system recognize which strain they had and prevent this from happening. Also, what is her opinion on the likelihood of transmission after a person tests negative. Thanks!

jreyn60

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Hi jreyn,

Sorry for not getting back with you sooner. My expert buddy did tell me that she thinks HPV clearance can be delayed if a person is exposed over and again to the same type. I know there are some studies that suggest couples who share HPV and use condoms will clear the virus a bit more quickly than couples not using protection. It isn't clear why this happens, but one theory is that condom use protects against having more of the HPV introduced into the skin, so the immune system has an easier time clearing it.

Now, I don't know if, say, this means you can be reinfected with the same HPV type many years down the road. It probably depends on a person's antibody levels, that is, how strongly the immune system responded to the HPV and how long those antibodies remain robust.

I wish I had a more clear answer, but I hope that helps. One thing that's clear is that, while possible, it isn't common to keep getting the same HPV-related diseases (such as genital warts or cervical cell changes detected with a Pap) over and over.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]