ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:34 pm 

After suffering an outbreak (my first), I was too embarrased to go see my Doctor. After looking on line about STD's, it became pretty clear to me that I was having a HSV2 outbreak. I had what I thought was an ingrown hair in my pubic area, but then it developed a small cluster of blisters and began running its course. The outbreak started 5 weeks and three days ago. The sore has healed, but my skin in this spot has not returned to normal. The skin is still a little red. Even though 4 months have not passed, I took a blood test anyway and had the following results: HSV 1 IgG type specific - 4.77. HSV 2 IgG type specific - 4.04. The blood test was done almost 5 weeks after the initial outbreak.

I have never had any symptoms for HSV 1 or 2. I'm getting my head wrapped around this whole thing but have a few questions:

1.) Would my positive test results tend to indicate I have had both viruses for a while?
2.) Is it normal for my skin to still be discolored? It seems like it is getting better very slowly.
3.) Am I still having an active outbreak when the skin is discolored?
4.) I want to start a daily suppresive therapy. Which medication, and in what dose, should I discuss with my Doctor? I want to go with a single dosage if available.

Thank you so much for this forum!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:05 pm 

Welcome to the forum! I"m glad you found us :)

1.) Would my positive test results tend to indicate I have had both viruses for a while?
really no way to know at this point. about 2/3's of folks who test at the time frame you did will have seroconverted and test + on the blood tests. If you've never been tested for herpes before, we have nothing to compare these results to.

2.) Is it normal for my skin to still be discolored? It seems like it is getting better very slowly.
sometimes the skin will look different. it does tend to get better over time. If the ob is healed, you can try just a plain moisturizer on the skin like aquaphor and see if that helps.

3.) Am I still having an active outbreak when the skin is discolored?
no

4.) I want to start a daily suppresive therapy. Which medication, and in what dose, should I discuss with my Doctor? I want to go with a single dosage if available.
valtrex is the only once daily herpes antiviral we have currently. if you have insurance, call your local pharmacy and ask how much 30 pills of the 500mg dose will cost you. if your insurance has a mail order program, usually you can save money by utilizing that plus it's handy not to have to remember to call in the refill and then go pick it up monthly too.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:11 am 

Thank you for the response. This forum is so helpful. Is Valtrex only available through a perscription?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:37 pm 

all 3 herpes antivirals require a prescription.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]