ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:14 pm 

Hello, I'm new to this forum and I do not have hpv. Or at least that's what I would have said before starting to research the topic, now I know that I could have hpv and not know it. I do know that I've never had GW so I'm assuming I'm clear. Anyway I recently started dating this guy who told me after we had been making out a bit and after I had been touching his penis, that he has Hpv. He said he has known for 1.5 years, and that he wouldn't have sex with me because even if we use a condom it could break. So, me being my inquisitive self, I spent the next few days researching what's up and seem to be more frustrated about what I found than I was before: almost everyone gets hpv at some point in their life, often you show no symptoms, it can take up to 2 years for the body to clear up on its own, and there is no real test for hpv for men or women. Well, first off I have decided that I should get gardisil in general and I will recommend he does too for extra protection. However, of course things heated up more recently and several things happened: I gave him a handjob till he came on my hand, we ended up having sex with a condom and made sure to be a little bit more gentle so it wouldn't break or stay inside me. Now I am assuming that he doesn't have any visible warts right now, can someone give me answers assuming he does and then assuming he doesn't have visible warts, what kind of sexual interaction we can have, what the risks are, etc. Thank you!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:05 pm 

yes your info is correct that almost every sexual active person will get exposed to hpv at some point and will not have issues as a result.

you really need to find out the following:

did he have the hpv types that cause genital warts and how does he know, how was he tested?

or did his prior girlfriend have an abnormal pap and he is assuming he has high risk hpv?

Answers to these questions will help people help you.

either way it is important to have yearly paps for reasons such as this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:15 am 
Site Admin

You can certainly ask if he was diagnosed with genital warts or if he's simply assuming he had/has HPV because a former partner either had warts or an abnormal Pap. However, I don't think knowing this would greatly alter what you do in terms of safer sex or your Pap tests (I'm assuming you're female, but forgive me if I'm incorrect in that).

If he was actually diagnosed with an HPV-related condition (most likely would have been warts), it's worth mentioning to your own health care provider just so it's in the back of their minds when you're examined. This might be something they do as part of your Pap, for example. Warts are evaluated with a visual inspection (in other words, a close look!) rather than any type of test. If your partner did have HPV once upon a time, it doesn't mean he still does or that the virus can be transmitted. There's no way to tell, of course. Using condoms, while not 100% protective, is a good idea and can really reduce the risk of acquiring HPV.

You seem to be very well grounded in all this, and kudos to talking to your health care provider about getting an HPV vaccine! I don't know if there's much more I can add, so please ask if there are specific questions we haven't covered.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:33 pm 

Well, I'm back in worse shape. I haven't been with the guy mentioned above since that time and have not spoken to him for a few months. Since then I had been diagnosed with chlamydia and gotten treated for it. I had my last three partners tested and they all were negative. I was going to have the re-test but my annual pap came up first. I was told that the results were abnormal so I had to go in for a colposcopy. I had the colposcopy, there were a lot of abnormal cells around my cervix. They biopsied two areas and swabbed inside the canal. I found out that I have hpv type 16 or 18. They thought it was mild displaysia, but it is moderate. They said I could get the cells removed now through a LEEP procedure or wait 6 months and get another colposcopy and if at that point it hasn't lessened, have the cells removed. I am planning on getting the gardisil vaccine to help with any potential future strains. I was wondering how long it takes hpv to develop because I doubt it is from the guy mentioned before, also I think he knew because an ex girlfriend called him, but I think he also had GW. I want to know what some things to consider about getting the LEEP now versus waiting. And further, at this moment how can I interact sexually? Can a person get hpv from me by giving me oral sex? Because of how common I've learned hpv is and how difficult it is to test in males should I no longer give blowjobs on guys I trust and know are clean from other testable stis and stds? Can I have vaginal intercourse if using a condom? Can someone get infected from me by touching my genitals and then touching their genitals or mouth? Do I need to be concerned about kissing? (I don't think so but hey, might as well go into explicit detail!). Further, how do I tell any future sexual partner? And can guys get a DNA test to find out and how much is it? Also, if I find a partner with the same strain as I have can I have unprotected sex ( ignoring risks other than hpv). Thank you for answering!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:07 am 

And sorry to say that you should never have a man perform oral on you because he will get it orally, I am the living proof of that.

One thing to consider for your own well being is that if you are vacinnated for this, it may stop you from getting HPV in your mouth if you were to ever perform oral on an infected person.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:32 am 
Site Admin

I was wondering how long it takes hpv to develop because I doubt it is from the guy mentioned before, also I think he knew because an ex girlfriend called him, but I think he also had GW.

There's usually no way to really figure that out. HPV can be detected weeks, months, even years after someone contracts it.

I want to know what some things to consider about getting the LEEP now versus waiting.

We can't offer any medical advice, you understand, so this is something to best sort out with your health care provider. We can chat about some things in general. There is often more than one option for dealing with abnormal cervical cell changes related to HPV, and this can be influenced even by the patient's age,as many health care providers take a more conservative approach of not jumping into treatment with adolescent and younger women who have mild/moderate changes. For dysplasia that isn't severe, follow-up sometimes does involve additional testing six months or so down the road, often followed by treatment if anything is found. In other cases, they'll want to treat, and LEEP is pretty common.

And further, at this moment how can I interact sexually? Can a person get hpv from me by giving me oral sex?

You never really know if HPV can be given to a partner - or how likely it is that you will - but it seems reasonable to assume the virus can be transmitted if there are lesions (like cell changes) present. The virus can even be passed along when nothing is detected. Condoms are a good idea with male partners: they don't 100% protect, but probably are fine for the skin they cover if you're using latex.

There continues to be more evidence linking HPV to oral sex, so I think we're safe saying oral sex is a risk factor. In spite of the fact both oral sex and HPV are common, oral diseases relate to the virus are hardly at an epidemic. No one can tell you what to do here. It seems a bit much to say "no sex, period" but do consider using condoms, getting the vaccine if you're eligible, and discussing safer sex and sexual health with a partner. It would not be unreasonable to abstain from receiving oral sex while any lesions are present.

Because of how common I've learned hpv is and how difficult it is to test in males should I no longer give blowjobs on guys I trust and know are clean from other testable stis and stds?

Here again, no one can decide this for you. For any of us who have sex there will be risk, period. Oral HPV diseases aren't rampant and concern over them should probably not be sufficient to make you swear off oral sex for life if in fact that's something you like to do. But, HPV is detected orally and there is a link between the virus and oral diseases, that's true, and foxtrot mentions his experience with oral warts. Maybe consider using condoms for any type of sex with a new partner....consider getting the vaccine....let your doctor know if you're worried about this to see what they say.

Can someone get infected from me by touching my genitals and then touching their genitals or mouth?

Probably possible but not likely.

Do I need to be concerned about kissing? (I don't think so but hey, might as well go into explicit detail!).

Don't lose sleep over it. Deep kissing has been linked with oral HPV detection, but it seems a bit much to tell people not to smooch. Deep slurpy tongue-kissing might be the thing to avoid if you're worried here. Ask your doctor about this.

Further, how do I tell any future sexual partner?

HPV is common; virtually all sexually active people have the virus but in most cases, it's harmless and clears naturally. Use condoms to reduce risk, ponder what we discussed about oral sex.

And can guys get a DNA test to find out and how much is it?

HPV DNA tests aren't approved for guys.

Also, if I find a partner with the same strain as I have can I have unprotected sex ( ignoring risks other than hpv).

Hard to nail this down. A person can have an HPV infection that has cleared and is undetectable on DNA tests, yet they still have some immune memory of it. Scratch this one as a strategy.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:58 pm 

Yes, Fredo, you really do help. I know you can't give medical advice and i don't hold this forum to any legal standard, but I appreciate the suggestions. I was really concerned about not being able to have sex again ever, or at least not for the next two years. I really want to be smart and safe and will make sure to talk with any future partners about it. My main was that since I don't have GW, the abnormal cells are on my cervix, not my labia or something, so I would imagine that a condom would protect to a great extent. Further, when I tried to ask the doctor I saw, the only thing she said was that in general everyone should use condoms all the time, even if you're in a serious, long term monogamous relationship. I didn't feel comfortable asking her more because it seemed we had a philosophical difference on the issue. Recently I told a friend of mine whom I had slept with long ago about my recent diagnosis, I was really glad that he didn't freak out, but in fact was really knowledgeable because his sister has hpv. He said she had to have a large portion of her cervix and an ovary removed, but she is still able to have kids. That really comforted me because having kids is really important to me. Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or if I mentioned it, but I am 21. Thank you for seriously responding to each of my questions and I feel really empowered from everything I've learned on this site to openly discuss with my friends and partners the situation and make sure they are safe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Please keep us posted and let us know how you're doing. Drop by anytime.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]