ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:40 pm 

I was diagnosed with hsv 2 about 2 months ago. I am 31 and feel like my life has been permanently damaged. My ex boyfriend had it and apparently had no idea how you could give it to someone. I was dumb/naive and didn't press for answers. I left him (emotionally abusive) and about a month later found out I had contracted herpes from him. My GYN did a blood test (negative) and a culture (positive). This was THE WORST news I have ever had in my life. My ex and I never had sex or oral sex. We shared towels and he did digitally penetrate me (used his saliva) once. I did not have this before I met him and have only slept with 3 guys previous to this(all long term, serious relationships)--all are negative for hsv. There is no doubt in my mind I contracted it from him. He completely denied it and gave me an earful of all kinds of rude and obscene language and accusations.

I have had three outbreaks since my initial outbreak. The first outbreak was HORRIBLE. I had nerve pain all over, my skin on my legs was extremely sensitive to the touch, I became swollen almost everywhere. My face would swell in the morning and my right leg, foot and ankle were swollen as well. I was in general pain and took tylenol ex twice a day. I was also VERY tired and have no energy at all when I have an outbreak. I took valcyclovir my first ob and was given scripts for any other obs I may have. I am currently experiencing an ob at the moment and it seems to almost rank up there as my first one in severity. The others were hardly noticeable. I just got over a very severe cold and think that my lowered immune system may have caused it. I also seem to get minor obs when I get my period.

Now, I am dating a really wonderful guy. It is still too early to tell if it will last but I know he wants to make it a long term thing and so do I. The problem is I have not told him about my hsv, and am terrified to do so. I am going to ask some very basic and specific questions. Hopefully I will get some answers. I know they have been asked before, but I guess I want the answers all in one place. I am telling the guy I am dating tomorrow night. His parents are visiting from out of town soon and he wants me to meet him. I want him to know about my hsv beforehand so he can decide BEFORE I meet his parents whether or not he would like to stay with me. I may be on here for some major moral support. I have only told my parents (very supportive) and best friend (very supportive) about my hsv, but any support I can get would be wonderful.

Questions:

Is there anything natural I can take to relieve pain or prevent outbreaks?
Would having a cold lower my immune system and cause an ob?
Will I get an ob everytime I have my period? Will suppressive therapy stop this?
As far as I know he is clean. If I am not having an ob can he still get it?
What are the best meds to take if I want to do suppressive therapy?
I have no side effects from the valcyclovir, would I react the same to the other drugs? Are they composed of the same chemicals/ingredients?
Shedding, how do I prevent it?
What kinds of things can I tell him so that I can ease his trepidations?
We are not sexually active at the moment, kissing can't transmit it, right?
Can he ever perform oral sex on me?

Can you give me any other information that would be good to tell him? I asked him to come over tomorrow night so I can tell him. His entire family is from NY and his sister and cousin visited and I met them. They loved me and I don't want him to have to explain to his parents what happened if he decides he no longer wants to see me.

I know there are a lot of questions, but hopefully my questions will help someone else out as well as myself.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:21 pm 

can you call and get the blood test results to post here for me to look at? ( or better yet, ask for a copy of your blood test results and also your culture results so you have them in front of you to answer any questions I have ). The contact you describe with your ex typically isn't enough to transmit herpes so I really want to be sure that all your testing is accurate. I want to make sure you didn't just have a herpes igm test or anything done. Your time line is also off so I think confirming all your testing is a good idea. Also the severity of symptoms also confirms more than just herpes going on too.

have you been back to be seen since your diagnosis? I recommend going back if you've had 3 ob's like this - get properly tested for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too while there. Herpes doesn't typically cause all the issues you've had so a more thorough work up is certainly in your best interest. You should not be having whole body swelling either with herpes. this is well worth more follow up for.

I will gladly answer the rest of your questions once we confirm a little better what all is going on.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:01 am 

Betsy,

I looked up the test results I was sent. I don't have a number for the positive culture results. I do however have the blood tests that were taken and the numbers from them. The paper reads like this:

RPR Reflex to T.pallidum Ab, Total RPR NON REAC
HSV 1 Glycoprotein G Ab, IgG
HSV 1 Glycoprotein G Ab 0.06 and under 'Limits' it says IV

HSV 2 Glycoprotein G Ab, IgG
HSV 2 Glycoprotein G Ab .18 and under 'Limits' it says IV

On the next page it says Herpes Culture and SOURCE: both vulva and then
FINAL REPORT: HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS TYPE 2 DETECTED. I could have sworn I had numbers on this one, but apparently I don't.

That was all the information I got and a phone call from my doctor. I am supposed to go back 3 months after this was taken to do another blood test for HSV 2 and for other STD's. The doctor said that I had recently contracted HSV 2 because it was a positive culture and a negative blood test (she said the antibodies were not built up in my blood yet and that was the reason for the negative blood test).

My tests were done on February 21, 2011 so I am supposed to wait till the end of May to go back and get another blood test. Do you think I could go sooner and it will show up?

I plan on calling my OBG on Monday to get a script for enough Valtrex to start on suppressive therapy. I told the guy on Thursday night, he says he will educate himself on it and he isn't going anywhere. At least that is something to smile about.

The swelling isn't extreme. Minor, like my shoe fits a bit tighter and it only happened the first ob in my legs/feet. Exercise seems to help. My face however, does swell a bit but I also had a cold when I got the second somewhat severe ob so that could have been it too. My OBG is closed on Fridays, so I have to wait to put in a call on Monday am.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:01 pm 

I'd go back and be seen and get properly tested for vaginitis instead of just starting suppressive therapy.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:43 pm 

Would the Valtrex cure that up too? If my lab tests came back positive for HSV 2, could I have both? When I call on Monday I will ask for my numbers for the HSV 2 test. What makes you think I may have vaginitis?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:38 am 

no valtrex doesn't help with vaginitis.

vaginitis is a common cause of persistence/frequently recurring ob's so it's well worth checking for.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]