ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: desperate and depressed
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:45 am 

Hi. Im so glad to have found this organization. I cant belive Im writting this now. I dont have anyone to talk to about this. its been 2 years since Ive been diagnosed with herpes 2. OMG just typing this makes me so anxious. Ive been pretty good in accepting this but form time to time I get like Iam now anxious panicky and extremely depressed. Like I have no point in living cause I feel dirty. I have children and have been married about 15 years. He is not infected. Im assuming I got it from my previous partner cause Its only been the two of them. I want more children and feel like I shouldnt have anymore cause it would be selfish to put a newborn at risk of getting it. I thought only street women and bad people got this. Im a working person, love my family and helping others. But IM SO DESPERATE and just want to SCREAM out of anger but I know its my fault cause I should not have done it and it only took one time. im scared that I can give it to my other children by sharing my drink or food with them. I feel scared to touch and kiss them. I havent been intimate for 1.5 years with my husband cause im scared but he doesnt care at all about what I have he says it doesnt change how he loves me. PLEASE SOME ADVISE. Are there many people that have children with this condition or should I not even consider it since I have 2 now. I feel like IM the only one that has this since I dont know anyon else who does.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:06 am 

Well I'm glad you found us to get accurate information :)

Have you considered talking to a professional at all about this? Typically when folks haven't been able to deal with their herpes diagnosis on their own in 2 years, they aren't going to without professional intervention. I actually encourage you to go and have a few sessions on your own and then involve hubby too. Not being intimate for 1 1/2 years has had to have taken a toll on your relationship and you can only make it stronger by talking about tall of this in a "safe" session with a counselor.

So let's start at the very beginning, how were you diagnosed as having hsv2?

betsy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:56 pm 

I was going for my yearly checkup and was having some issues and told my gyn. She
Tested me and came back positive. It was devastating I wanted to die and thought
That this was the end for me. I've always had issues with depression but this has made it worse.
I'm wondering if this can affect me in getting a job at a hospital setting with patients. Do I have to tell them about this.?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:18 pm 

so did you have a lesion culture of symptoms that came back as hsv2+ or a blood test?

did hubby have a blood test to see what his status is?

Your herpes is not something you have to list on a job application. we call genital herpes a sexually transmitted infection because it takes that sort of intimate contact to transmit it. It's not something you have to worry about transmitting to your children nor is it something you would transmit to those around you at work. It's not something that is transmitted through routine casual contact.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:20 pm 

I had a blood test done and spouse did to but he is negative. I just feel like people wouldn't want
To be my friend if I told them. I always thought of this as dirty. I'm such a clean freak and perfectionist and when I used to go to a therapist she told me that is why I have such a hard time dealing with this. one other question is it possible that HSV2 can move to my face . It might just be a coincidence but since i found out about it I have had my upper lip swell a little a few times my doctor said it was nothing but I always wondered about it. Ive only had one break out with only some itching, no sores thank God.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:12 pm 

no, hsv won't move to your face.

If you get your blood test results to post here, I'll take a look at them to make sure you were properly tested and don't need additional testing done - e.g. hsv1 igg 6.9 and hsv2 igg 5.9 or whatever your results were, is all you have to post. If you call your provider they should be able to just read you your test results to write down.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:33 pm 

Hello again. Well I thought I was type 2 but actually iam HSV 1 . But they detected it by culture . What does this mean for me any better than hsv 2. I had a culture test done of genitals. But I didnt have sores just itcing and small slits. Only had it onve two years ago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:46 pm 

hsv1 genitally is considered the "milder" form of genital herpes. It doesn't reoccur very often and it doesn't shed very often either. about half of all folks who contract hsv1 genitally, never get another recognizable recurrence even. hard to tell if hubby does have hsv1 himself or not since even the best blood tests miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. Even if he really doesn't have it himself, the odds of transmitting this to him are low overall. typically just avoiding sex anytime you have anything going on genitally is all it takes to protect him.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:09 pm 

Thanks. So then I don't have worry about infecting my kids either or telling my employer. Thanks for your help

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]