ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:11 pm 

In 2004 and 2005, I received two positive results for HSV-2 from the Herpes Select Test. The first result was 3.52 and the second result was 2.01 but perhaps the second reading was suppressed as I was being treated with Interferon at the time. Focus Technologies also did a Confirmatory Inhibition Assay Test which had a score of 91% inhibition, a result that Focus said indicated that I was indeed positive for HSV-2.

After my first Herpes Select Test positive, in 2004, I took a Western Blot test and the result was “Negative for antibody to HSV-1 and HSV-2 by Western Blot. No evidence of past infections with HSV-1 or HSV-2.” In 2005 I took another Western Blot test and the result was: “Low level antibody detected by Western Blot assay. Indeterminate for HSV.” In 2006, I again received a completely negative result from a Western Blot test. I stopped testing completely and assumed I had genital Herpes based on the Focus tests and have refrained from skin to skin contact, inlcuding kissing family members, since then.

Recently I saw on your forum that it is now widely considered that Herpes Select results for HSV-2 under 3.5 could be false positive. However, my score was 3.52. In light of the Western Blot tests, should I consider myself negative for HSV-2? I have never had any symptoms, nor has my wife, and have been faithful in marriage for over 40 years. I did have a good number of sexual encounters before marriage however, with several partners and no protection.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:52 pm 

honestly I'd call the folks at the U of washington lab and discuss your WB results with them and get their opinion. Having a 2nd indeterminate WB might necessitate another WB to confirm your status. http://depts.washington.edu/rspvirus/herpes.htm has their contact info to follow up with them.

stop back and let us know what they suggested :)

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:12 am 

After my first two Western Blot tests, Dr. Morrow wrote me that "The combination of your test results, however, for HSV-2 argues against your having been exposed to or infected by HSV-2." This was after I had one negative Western Blot and one indeterminate Western Blot along with two positive Herpes Select results and one positive Inhibition Assay. Subsequently I took a third Western Blot and it was completely negative. Dr. Wald of the Univ of Washington also spoke to me and emailed me that she did not think I had HSV-2. When I pointed out that I had scored 3.52, over the 3.5 upper limit, she said that considering the context of my situation, she felt I was negative. However, I'm afraid I was not completely candid about the level of sexual activity I had before marriage and she may have thought I was more moderate than I really was.

I don't see that taking another Western Blot test at this time would prove anything. Certainly enough time had passed from any possible exposure up to the point of taking the WB tests in 2004, 2005, and 2006. If I had any exposure to Herpes it would have had to have been before 1966. 40 years should have been plenty of time for it to show up on the WB in my opinion. I think I would just continue to get either negative or indeterminate results. And the tests are expensive.

The problem I've had over the years has been that the Focus people seemed certain that I had HSV-2 and they characterized the Western Blot test as more subjective than the Herpes Select test, which yields a numerical result. The University of Washington people stood equally behind their results. I just thought more recent experience over the last 5 years would have cleared up the situation a bit. The Herpes Select test has certainly had a large amount of false positives in the range of 1.1 to 3.5, running as high as 50% or more false positive based on what I've read.

My question is, as the subject of my post says, do the Western Blot results prevail over the Herpes Select test results? I've read in various forum postings that the Western Blot should resolve any nebulous results. But you seem to think I should have more WB tests. This leaves me as unresolved as I've been over the last five years. You know, five years ago, I was told that the Herpes Select test was very accurate but now it is widely regarded as not as specific as the WB test or some other tests. I don't think talking further to the University of Washington people would help me as I believe they made their position clear and I think I have already worn out my welcome there.

I had resigned to living in ambiguity and am only writing because now I read that the Herpes Select tests are not as accurate as once thought - and just maybe the Western Blot tests are really accurate and I don't have HSV-2. Just looking for another impartial opinion that's all. Perhaps I should start taking Valtrex to prevent the inadvertent transmission of HSV-2 as might result if I kissed a family member.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:28 am 

sorry that I missed the 3rd wb - just saw the first two last night ( well that's what my mind registered at least ).

I know Terri Warren stopped using the inhibition assay due to too many folks testing falsely positive on that too. honestly I'd go with the advice Dr Wald gave you and stop thinking you might have herpes.

absolutely no reason not to kiss folks either. no reason to think you have hsv2 orally and even if you did, it hardly sheds at all and isn't an issue. you have no reason to take any valtrex.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:50 pm 

Okay, I will follow your advice. Thank you kindly. Keep up the good work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]