ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

How many outbreaks have you had with Genital HSV1?
More than 3 my first year  50%  [ 3 ]
1-2 my first year  0%  [ 0 ]
Zero my first year  50%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 6
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:02 am 

Also, how long do recurrences typically last with genital hsv1? I'm going on a trip next week & supposed to play in a sporting event this weekend!!! Worried this will get worse & maybe I should back out!;( does it seem odd that this is my second breakout since October? Or is it maybe expected because of the BV? Should I go have the sore tested again for hsv1&2? Ugh!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:22 pm 

usually they only lat 7-10 days though bv can further complicate it all :(

you can still use metrogel to treat bv during your period. You also shouldn't use tampons when you have bv - it traps the bacteria up there and allows it to keep growing better. you also can use oral flagyl to treat bv but I understand there is a shortage of it at the moment :(

It's a pain in the butt I know but anytime you think you have vaginitis related discharge, best to be seen. discharge related to herpes is usually clear and since you have hsv1 genitally, in general, recurrences will be few so it is worth going to be seen and tested.

I'm a fan of fem dophilus by jarrow. It's a probiotic that has been shown to colonize the 'good' bacteria in us gals urogenital tract to help ward off vaginitis and uti's. You store it in your fridge if you try it. There's a good article about it by dr Gregor Reid on their website too. I take it 2x/day when I feel like vaginitis might be starting again and then 1/day until I've broken the cycle and haven't had any vaginitis in awhile. It really helped me get rid of a non-stop bv infection that wouldn't stop. Might be worth looking into as something to try to ward off bacteria in between treating known bv infections.

best of luck!

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:43 pm 

Thanks Betsy. Ive been taking a multivitamin as well as acidophilus but I will try this too. Ive only had sex with condoms & he's been tested ( i went with him & saw results) so I hope it's not anything else! You know, they didn't test him for herpes but I sort of felt like a hypocrit if I pushed the issue & made him go back again after he accepted me. I know the precautions & i took those (meaning condoms) Now I'm freaking out thinking somehow I caught hsv2 just by touching him a little w/out the condom. My doctor is gonna think I'm nuts! Ugh. Trying to stay positive and deal with what life throws at ya... But enough already!!! Gosh- maybe I should have him get tested for it anyways just so we know what we are dealing with. Just figured if he has it...then I would still accept him.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 pm 

Also, thx for info about tampons! I thought wearing a pad was worse. Just seemed to me too easy for bacteria to grow that way. Thx for advise!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:06 pm 

Indeed your partners should be tested for herpes. you can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.

which acidophilus supplement are you taking? Not all types of it colonize the urogenital tract. most of them only colonize the bowels.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:51 pm 

You are right. I went back in to ask & they said they only do it if a lesion is present & embarrassed I walked out. I called the dept of health & they said the same thing... That only if the person is having an outbreak that they test. From my experience you'd think I'd be smarter to push the issue but times I feel like I'm being a complete worry wart! I'm going to the doc in the AM. I hate having to wait 5 days to find our results. Kills me everytime.

So I've been taking natures bounty, probiotic lactobacillus acidophilus 10mg. Is it doing me any good!? I'm going to order yours but wondering what to do since I'll be traveling & it needs to be refrigerated.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:19 am 

no that one only colonizes the bowels and not the urogenital tract.

if you are only traveling for a week or so, the probiotic can be out of the fridge that long but I"d only take enough pills for your trip, not the whole bottle.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:12 pm 

Hi Betsy, thank you for the advice on the fem dopholis. I seem to be doing better down there. My results came back just before my trip and indeed it was my second HSV1 outbreak (thank goodness). They had done another culture on it cause I was freaking out. Thank goodness it lasted I'd say from Sunday to Friday/Saturday. But I was able to walk, play sports, everything 99% better than that first outbreak!!!! I just wanted to write that in case somebody else with HSV1 had a really bad first episode so I can say that it won't be as bad. It's just so scary & hard to believe til you go through it - is for me anyway. I suppose the BV has been what's been triggering the outbreaks - so I'm hopeful that it'll all stay away now for a very long time & if/when it comes back - I'll take charge & nip it in the bud before it gets too bad.

Now- back to finding me another boyfriend. This one didn't work out either:( ugh!! I have to tell another person & go through this again!? Ughhhhhhh. I'm 2-0 for them accepting this. Hope I continue to have good luck with that. Good night & thanks again. You are a saint.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:05 am 

I hate dealing with bv far more than I could ever hate my herpes. it is so annoying!

Recurrences are on average much milder which is a good thing. hopefully your next one is a long time from now :)

Dating sucks in general until you find a keeper. I keep telling my bf that if things don't work out between he and I, I'm joining the convent and just throwing in the towel on it all...he he he

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5