ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: looking for answers
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:39 pm 

hi, my girlfriend has both type 1 and type 2 herpes and i was recently tested and don't have either. after reading all that i possibly could on the matter i decided that it seems if she's taking daily antivirals as a suppressant the risk of transmission really is quite small. that being said, i still have a few questions.

1) as a suppressant, is one medication recommended over the others or are they all pretty much the same? i.e. can we just go with the cheapest option?

2) would it be of any use for me to be taking the antivirals as well? one dr. recommended that i do but i have not read about this anywhere else. i'm more than willing to do all that i can to prevent getting the infection but would taking the antivirals do any good for someone who doesn't already have herpes?

3) together we both went and had a full std test, and herpes aside, fortunately neither of us has anything and as such we've stopped using condoms. i've read that proper condom use prevents transmission by up to 50% but i don't quite understand why - surely our genitals and pubic areas are still touching. i realize that's more of a statement than a question but i was hoping for some clarification on the matter.

thank you in advance for all of your responses, i've read through many of the other posts and have found them quite informative.

Post subject: Re: looking for answers
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:17 am 

yes you can go with the cheapest herpes antiviral :) the only real advantage to valtrex over acyclovir is convenience.

no, no reason for you to start suppressive therapy. We don't have studies on it in humans but in animal studies, it didn't reduce the risk of transmission if someone uninfected was on suppressive therapy.

your penis is the most vulnerable part for infection so using a condom does help somewhat. totally up to the two of you if you want to use condoms or not. Your average risk is 2%/year without condoms and 1% with them of contracting hsv2 if you avoid sex anytime your partner has anything going on genitally and your partner takes daily suppressive therapy.

Was your gf diagnosed prior to being with you? Has she had genital symptoms or just a blood test that came back as hsv2+?

keep asking questions as you have them!

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 2:36 pm 

thanks for all of your help, i find your answers quite calming.

my girlfriend was diagnosed a few years before we even met. she says she normally only has 1-2 breakouts a year but with me it's been 3 in 5 months. we were traveling together so i'm sure that threw off her body plus we've been having a lot of sex (no complaint there) and i've read that can irritate things a bit too.

one last question: if i am to stay with her, is it really a matter of when and not if i would get herpes from her. i mean, even if the rate of transmission is at 1-2%, doesn't that mean that if we were to have sex 100 times im bound to get it one of those times?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 6:26 pm 

the risk resets itself each year and isn't cumulative if that is what you were thinking?

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]