ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: ORAL HPV 16/18?
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:11 am 

Hi everybody,

This is my first time posting, as I have been very concerned over the past few months. Full disclosure, this is a pretty long story, as I have tried to be detailed as possible to see if any of you are familiar with my symptoms.

About 6 months ago, I might have contracted some sort of oral HPV from a partner (unfortunately I no longer have a way to confirm from that person, just thought I heard from somebody that this person might have had HPV 16 or 18).

The reason I am writing this is because I am more than a bit concerned about whether or not I have contracted something dangerous.

My first symptom showed up about 4 or 5 months ago, there is a slightly raised bump on the back right of my tongue that started to feel irritated off and on. I kind of ignored that problem, then noticed over the next month or two that I have slight pains in different parts of my mouth, for example:

- The top of my pallet felt like it was burnt for a week, then went away.
- There was a small white zit like thing in the front of my tongue for a week and went away.
- There was a cut like feeling behind my lower teeth that went away after a week.

I wanted to avoid the problems, but then I also noticed a very small (2-3 mm) patch in the center of my upper lip. This patch was only slightly raised, and not very noticeable.

I went to the general doctor who looked at me and said I looked just fine. He tested me for just about every blood test possible, ruled out herpes, hiv, and said he didn't know what was wrong.

About a month went by, with only slightly irritation from the original bump, i.e. it would feel like a dull pain, then go away about 3-4 times a day for about a minute at a time. The little white patch became more prominent, but still difficult to notice to the average person, and I woke up with a sharp back of the neck pain. Concerned, I made an appointment with my doctor for a follow up.

He referred me to an oral maxilla facial surgeon. The oral maxilla guy saw me for about 15 minutes, and said the bump looks normal and there don't appear to be any systemic problems (i.e. cancer?), told me to put a steroid cream on the bump of my tongue and feel for any nodes on my neck. He told me the white patch was definitely not HPV, without doing any testing, and asked me to follow up in 3 months. He also referred me to a ENT (ear nose and throat doctor). I also told this doctor my concerns and he stuck a scope into my nose to look at my throat. He told me everything looked pretty normal, and he didn’t see any real issues. Though he noticed the white patch on my lip, he said it wasn’t prominent enough to be worried.

I went back home and felt like everything should be just fine. I used the topical cream on my tongue and noticed it didn’t bother me when I applied it (though I guess the point of the cream was to numb the pain?) About a month after meeting with these doctors I woke up with a sharp pain in the back of my neck. It hurt to move my neck from left to right, and I figured I just slept wrong. I waited a few days before calling the generalist doctor who said everything was fine, it’s probably just a muscle pain (over the phone diagnoses). With this neck pain, I also had a few other symptoms:

- My throat hurt, as if I had a strep throat, this lasted for a few days.
- I developed a cough and later a stuffy nose.
- I had headaches and felt fatigue off and on.
- My tonsils and throat would get sore (i.e. a sharp pain for a second or two, then go away about once a day)

The odd part about these symptoms is that I was never full blown sick. I developed light symptoms, but never had a heavy cough, runny nose, or anything that a common cold would have.

My original back of the neck pain receded slightly when I developed another pain on the right side of my neck as well. Concerned, I went back to the generalist, who said my pain was on a gland line, but could very well be another muscle spasm. He did a CBC to check my white blood cells and sent me on my way.

My blood work came in normal, and he ruled out mono, this also gave me some comfort. He referred me to a dermatologist for the patch on my lip, and sent me on my way.

I am now waiting to see the derm. My neck pains have since receded to the point of barely noticeable. The cold like symptoms I had are still hanging around (it’s been about a month), along with the tongue bump, tonsil pains, and off and on sharp throat pain when I swallow. I have noticed that the right side of my neck has swollen lymph nodes that are delicate to the touch. In addition, about a week ago I was chewing gum and felt my jaw get kind of sore after a few minutes.

I am a bit concerned that no doctor has been able to test me and tell me if I have HPV. I read online and felt like I have a few of the symptoms, more concerning is I have some symptoms of oral cancer as well, but is there way to know for sure?

The pain in my lymph node in my neck is pretty concerning, as it is tender, and has been feeling sore and kind of like an icy-hot sensation a couple of times a day (odd cooling like sensation that lasts a few minutes).

Should I be worried? What can I do to rule out HPV or cancer? The doctors don’t seem to acknowledge anything is wrong with me, though I have listed all these symptoms. I am just worried that they found cancer on Michael Douglas way later in its advancement, and most websites will tell you a neck cancer would be difficult to diagnose. I could be thinking the worst, but I have a safe rather than sorry mentality, and all these symptoms have been concerning me.

I have a follow up with the oral maxilla guy neck week, as well as my first appointment with the derm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your time, help and insights!

Post subject: Re: ORAL HPV 16/18?
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:58 am 
Site Admin

Hi dynomax,

I don't think there's very much I can add. It seems you've been more than diligent in seeking appropriate medical opinions and care. There is no standard HPV test that's used for the oral cavity, and any bumps/lesions typically typically aren't biopsied in this regard when they appear normal.

Head and neck cancers aren't all that common, and those related to HPV are an even smaller subset. Your health care providers will have to be the ones to explain to you what they think might be going on. Has anyone actually said what they think might be the cause of bumps/patch you've noticed, or just that a bump is sometimes a bump?

Let us know how your next appointment goes, if you don't mind.

Best,
Fredo

Post subject: Re: ORAL HPV 16/18?
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:43 am 

Hi Fredo,

No one has given me an explanation about the bump. That is why my generalist is sending me to a dermatologist, hopefully to get a better explanation. I will keep you all posted, wish me luck!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]