ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Treatment?
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:29 pm 

What is the treatment for HPV? Would you treat the HPV if you have a bump on cervix? As far as I can tell it doesn't hurt or do anything bad?
I have had it, well now I think a year, something like that and no treatment has been discussed with me.
I had abnormal pap w/HPV, we did a colpo, it was negative then another pap was repeated with no cells, it was normal but I still have HPV?
Also, can you have anal HPV? how on earth/who would test for that?
Plus, I told the Dr. I felt a wart and she said she couldn't see it, how can I feel one and she can't see it, and I tested positive for it??? aarrghh..

Post subject: Re: Treatment?
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Hi efloat,

Treatment is sometimes done for warts or abnormal cell changes caused by HPV, not the virus itself (as there's no direct cure for HPV). A lot of times women with mildly/moderately abnormal Paps -or with colposcopies that look ok - aren't treated and are simply monitored with follow-up Paps. It's also not unusual for anything that was abnormal to clear up on it's own.

It is possible to have anal HPV. While almost anyone can be at some risk here, the main risk factor seems to be engaging in receptive anal sex. There's not a lot of standard rules about who should be screened, but there are anal Pap tests (just like cervical Paps). Anyone who's had anal sex - especially if there is a diagnosis of HPV- might be a good candidate for an anal Pap. Ask you health care provider if you have questions about this.

Not sure what might be going on with whatever it is you can feel, but your doctor can't see. The types of HPV that cause abnormal Paps and lead women to have a colposcopy most often aren't the same types that cause genital warts.

Post again anytime you have questions.

Best,
Fredo

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:10 am 

Well its seems if there is no treatment, why do they even bother testing for it.. seems silly. I didnt really need to know/worry about it. good :)

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:56 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
Well its seems if there is no treatment, why do they even bother testing for it.

Sometimes it helps them figure out which women need referral to another diagnostic procedure, like a colposcopy. Also, HPV testing and Paps done together are much better at finding women with cell changes that need to be monitored (or treated) than either test alone, so the kind of back each other up!

Fredo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:04 pm 

Well, after one year I still have HPV and I still wonder why the heck they are testing for it if it doesn't mean anything?

Also, how do you tell a wart from an HSV bump?

thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:15 am 

Warts typically are firm while herpes lesions aren't. Recurrences of herpes tend to clear up in a week or less while warts stick around for months.

It is annoying to have to keep going back twice a year for paps after an abnormal pap with a normal colposcopy but it's recommended to do so to quickly detect any changes in cervical cells that can be treated.

Betsy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:54 pm 

Shoot... turns out it was a pimple... crazy. Didn't know you could get a pimple there..

LOL.. all that worry for a pimple, feel stupid now.. hehe.. oh well

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]