ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Genital HSV1 Questions
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:25 pm 

Hi Betsy,

Thank you for doing what you do! Finding this message board has been a godsend. I am a 42 year old female who was diagnosed with genital HSV1 a week ago after going to the gyn for what I thought was a persistent yeast infection. I am beginning to work through the emotional issues but have been given conflicting and erroneous information from my doctor. My test results were as follows:

HSV1 IGG Herpeselect AB 0.09 Negative, HSV2 IGG Herpeselect AB 0.02 Negative
HSV Rapid Culture wltyp: Type 2 - none isolated, Type 1 - positive
HSV IgM AB screen SL refl tiger -Detected A

I've been in a monogamous relationship for the last several months with someone who was given a "clean bill of health" for STIs by his GP. To my knowledege, I have never had a cold sore or fever blister before. I have not had a chance to talk to my partner yet as he is out of the country.

My questions are:

My doctor said my culture was positive for HSV1 but that I had no antibodies whatsoever so this means it is a new infection. Is that accurate? Also because of that, my doctor suspects that I got it my current partner. Could I have gotten it previously and not had any antibodies? Also is there any chance I could have been misdiagnosed? Should I be tested again in 3 months?

Unfortunately my partner and I had unprotected sex one time during my outbreak. If my partner already had HSV1 orally, could I now have transmitted it to him genitally? If he only has it orally, what is the risk that I could transmit it to him genitally in the future? If he turns out positive for HSV1, is there any way to tell if I gave it to him or someone else did?

I understand that the risk of transmittion for HSV2 to a non-infected partner using the 3 precautions of condoms, abstinence during OBs, and suppressive therapy is 1% per year. Is the rate the same for genital HSV1 or is it lower because there is less shedding and less recurrences?

Can I transmit gential HSV1 through kissing someone or giving oral sex?

Am I supposed to use a barrier method when receiving oral sex? What is the risk of me transmitting it to someone if I don't?

Sorry for the length of this post but I would greatly appreciate your insight. Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:22 am 

welcome to the board :)

Even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. Odds are your hsv1 is recently acquired but we can't say that with 100% certainty. Has your current partner been tested to know his own status?

If your current partner does have hsv1 orally already, odds are that he won't contract hsv1 genitally from you. Having sex during an active ob can increase the odds a little but it's still not likely that he'll contract hsv1 genitally. Most of the few times this has happened to folks who post on the boards I participate in, the previously infected partner had shaved their genital area the day that sex occurred on ( which creates microscopic , and sometimes not so microscopic, cuts in the skin that allows the virus to more easily penetrate the skin ) but even at that, it's still just a handful of folks who have gotten hsv1 genitally after already having had it orally. Overall the risk of transmission of hsv1 from genitals to genitals is very low since hsv1 genitally tends not to reoccur very often and it doesn't shed very often either.

do you have to use barrier protection for oral sex? totally up to you and your partner. On average your hsv1 genital infection would shed less than a dozen days out of the year total so the risk of transmitting it to any body part is low.

betsy

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:31 pm 

I wanted to say thank you again for the information you provided, Betsy. My partner refused to get tested. He said he couldn't bear the thought of knowing that he gave me anything, so he would rather not know. Needless to say, we are no longer together.

I also wanted to say to others that I was sick to my stomach for 2-3 weeks after getting diagnosed, couldn't stop thinking about it, researched endlessly and cried a lot. After educating myself and taking some time to process my feelings about it, I feel much more at ease and haven't really thought about it in weeks. I'm sure I will encounter a lot of emotions and concerns about it when/if I get into a new relationship but this board and talking to a few discreet friends (who I never would have thought knew anyone who had herpes but it turns out that many were in relationships with someone who has it and they have never contracted it) has really helped me to normalize this and know that this is not the end of the world.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 am 

sorry to hear that the relationship didn't continue :( glad you have friends though who you felt comfortable talking to to get the support from them!!

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]