ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Transmission to Children
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 am 

My husband and I both have herpes. We have 3 children that were all delivered by c-section. Is it possible to transmit to our children through everyday activites?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:20 pm 

Genital herpes is transmitted through intimate contact with the genital area. this is not the sort of contact we ever have with our children so no worries!

betsy

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:38 pm 

What about sharing towels, showering together? My husband and I both too have it and we both showered w/ our parents, etc. Obviously nothing sexual, but w/ little kids the risk is that they could hit unintentionally come in contact w/ those areas w/out it being an intimate situation. We have not done such w/ our son as we are EXTREMELY cautious. I won't even sleep in a nightgown or underwear (we cosleep) for fear of it. I just feel like the more layers between myself and my child the safter he is. Is this irrational thinking? We have a 2nd on the way and I have to admit when our son was here I was constantly showering and washing my hands. Although the most special moment of my life, it was riddled w/ anxiety (he is 2 now and it's only gotten a little better as far as my anxiety is concerned).

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:21 pm 

Actually yes that is irrational thinking! You are not a walking biohazard! we call it a sexually transmitted infection for good reason - it takes sexual type contact to transmit the virus. You wearing underwear in bed is all the protection it takes even though there is absolutely no position your child would come into contact with you in bed that would be a risk for transmission. No need for multiple layers!!

showering with children also isn't an issue. even if they were curious and reached up to do the "daddy what is this" while yanking on his penis or similar actions, it's not a risk for transmission. just touching the virus isn't enough - it takes heat and friction while in contact with the virus over at least several minutes to transmit it - something that never ever occurs when we shower/bathe with our children. Now I always personally erred on the side of caution and if I had an active lesion present, I didn't take a bath with my kids when they were small enough to do so. It was just my thing even though it's unlikely they'd contract the virus even then I just thought it was in general a bad idea to do so.

betsy

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:30 pm 

Thanks for your reply Betsy. I guess I'm just wondering if a kid can get HSV1 by a quick kiss or a shared straw, why is HSV2 different? You say it takes direct, prolonged contact with heat and friction... but why would it work differently than HSV1? I can't reconcile the two in my head.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 6:15 pm 

really not that easy to contract hsv1 either but when it comes to hsv2, the skin on the hands and legs is pretty thick so the virus won't easily penetrate like it does the more delicate mucous membranes of the mouth ( hands and legs are what would be in contact with us in the shower or tubby ).

betsy

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:31 pm 

Thanks Betsy. A few follow up questions:

So let's say our son did do that tug "daddy what's this?!?!" as stated in your previous post and then touched himself on his nether regions. Still takes the heat and friction - no risk?

I also wonder about bar soap, even for myself. It may be a silly question since soap and water kills the virus, but my husband uses dove bar soap to wash his body, and I like to use it on my face. Is this ok? I also assume when my son gets older and bathes himself he will use the shared adult bar soap as well. Is it ok to share bar / body soap in this manner? Esp. if we are showering right after eachother as in the AM? Does cold water suffice or do you have to use piping hot (including just washing hands?). My husband likes luke warm / cold showers, esp. in the hot summers as he works in a physically labor intensive job. Our water takes FOREVER to heat up so I rarely wash my hands w/ warm or hot water after using restroom as well. Just cold (w/ antibacterial soap). Is this ok?

Can I assume that transmission is truly genital to genital or gential to mouth contact? But then that doesn't include finger whitlows and the like? Is masturbation out of the question? It seems like there's so much contradictory information out there.

Sorry for all of the questions. I just came across this site and it has truly helped me thus far but these are questions that have been inside me for 5 years!!! So thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:13 pm 

bar soap isn't an issue. the fats in soap kill the virus. water temperature isn't important - it's the soap!

touching daddy's penis and then himself isn't an issue either.

oh and sweetie - masturbate, masturbate, masturbate - not an issue unless you have an open cut on your hand and even then it's low risk :D

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]