ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Don't know what to do
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:19 pm 

I am a gay male in my late 40's. I am also bipolar but it's fairly well controlled by medications. However, the medication leaves me with a fairly low sex drive. There was a period 10 years ago before my treatment for bipolar disorder where I had a period of mania. During those few weeks I received oral sex for many random men that I did not know. I was tested for STD's at that time and all were thankfully negative. For some reason on May 5th of this year I hooked up with a guy I met online. He started to preform oarl sex on me but I stopped him after maybe a minute and I left. I have never had any kind of intercourse and I have not preformed oral sex on anyone in almost 8 years. After the May 5th episode I went to the dcotor for STD testing. The PA said the the Herpes test was not part of the normal STD testing and I should consider having it. Which I did. I got the results a week later all were negative expect HSV-2. The PA said I should consider taking a daily dose of Valtrex. I have never had a noticeable signs of an outbreak. So finally I get to my question. Do you think I should take the Valtrex? Do you know if it's safe for people with bioplar disorder to take Valtrex? I went this morning and had them print out my test results. They could not tell me which test I had. I know they use Quest Labs.
HSV 1 IGG Type Specific AB .027 (index)
HSV 2 IGG Type specific AB 1.22 (index) H

Right now I have a small cold sore on my lip but that test says I am negative?
Thanks so much for your help. If you weren't here I don't know where I would go for help!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm 

even the best blood tests still miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections. if you have a history of cold sores, you know you have hsv1 orally.

your hsv2 igg is a very low positive and most likely a false positive. You can confirm it with additional testing like a herpes WB if you need the peace of mind that it really is negative.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 pm 

betsy,
Thank you very much for your help. I feel so much better. I'm shocked by my doctor's office lack of knowledge. I'm glad I didn't start taking the Valtrex.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:00 pm 

If your provider questions the low positive issue, encourage them to read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines. it covers the low positive issues as well as the ways to confirm a low positive.

betsy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 10:54 am 

I will tell my doctor about the CDC guidelines. I have an appointment with Planned Parenthood tomorrow to get more information. I'm guessing that they will be a good resource to get accurate information on all STD's? Can you tell me what is considered the false positive range? Is it possible that my low test result of 1.22 is caused my receiving oral sex on May 5th?
Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 12:52 pm 

I'd call the PP office and ask if they do biokits or WB for herpes to confirm low positives. I don't believe many do.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 pm 

Hi Betsy,
Sorry to keep asking so many questions but I don't know where else to go to get accurate information. I did go to Planned Parenthood but they seemed like they were a better resource for an actual outbreak. They did tell me it's highly unlikely that I would get HSV-2 from receiving oral sex. I did let them test my blood again. Where should I go to get answers? I have an appointment to see my doctor on June 13, not one of the Np's or the PA. Although, the NP's and PA are great at general health problems. My doctor is an internal medicine doctor. I'm hoping if I ask in person she will do the WB test you suggested. Should I go to county Public Health or maybe an Infectious Disease MD.
Thanks so much for your help. I don't know what I would do if you were not here to help!

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:45 pm 

wait for your newest test results and see what they show. if they are negative for hsv2, no reason for any further testing.

betsy

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:06 pm 

I will post the results as soon as I get them. Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:55 am 

Hi Betsy,
Just got my Planned Parenthood results. It's 1.37. My first results were 1.22. From what I have read these are really low positive results, possibly false positives. Should I just let this go for now and do nothing else? I don't know if thats an irresponsible thing to do? I kind of feel like it's time to put my magnifying glass and mirror away and to stop obessing over every lump, bumb and itch. Both PP and my doctor have offered Valtrex but I don't what to take it if I don't really need it.
Thanks so much for your helping me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:54 pm 

odds are they are both false positives. follow up with a herpes WB or a biokit test to confirm your status.

betsy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 pm 

Hi Betsy,

I wrote you a bit earlier. I want to say it is very hard to find a counsellor who know the effects of herpes. Only one guy here in Toronto, Canada charges $25 an hour. I called him and said that is expensive and I asked if he can lower the rates. He was very abrupt and said $25 is the lowest you are going to get. He was very rude. He organizes the Phoenix Herpes Group here in Toronto. I can't believe he is getting away with this. He also said that there are no other councellors here in the city who can help with herpes. He lied to me because Hassle Free clinic provide councellors for free for an STI infections. So when you said go get help if I need one so sometimes I go to Hassle Free Clinic. But it is like a walk in clinic and you cannot see someone on a regular basis so this is a problem here in Canada. I know you are American so maybe there are more councellors in your area than here in Toronto.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Anita

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]