ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: open for opinions
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:22 pm 

hey there! my name is danielle, I'm 19 years old. I was diagnosed a month ago, and things haven't been a thing like how I thought they would play out. Let me give you some background info: I'm in college, 4.0 GPA, have only had 2 partners in my life. Both were monogamous when I had met them, and I thought both of them were faithful as well. I have an ex-boyfriend of 6 years, who cheated on me numerous times during the years; I now have the most amazing boyfriend in the world, we've been together about 8 months. I had my first initial outbreak in April of 2011, I started to run a high high fever, and what I thought was a yeast infection. My boyfriend brought me to the emergency room when we could no longer fight my fever of 103. The next day I was discharged, I went into the shower and washed up. I went to go apply monistat for my yeast infection when I noticed that there were now open sores that had developed. I didn't think a thing of it, and went into my doctors for a checkup. I told him of the change in sores, and he knew my symptoms right off the bat and said that he thought it was herpes. That was unreal for me, I've had sex with two partners, that's impossible. (You never think it'll happen to you until it does.) So my bloodwork came back negative for the herpes antibodies, but the cultures came back positive. (I know this shouldn't be a blame game) but, Instantly my mother and I were ready to kill my ex-boyfriend, but according to my doctor that means I received the virus from my new boyfriend, as the antibodies have not had time to develop yet. My new boyfriend has kissed one girl, one time before he had met me. Both of us are extremely hurt and confused how it could be him? Thank god I have somebody to help me through this. For the most part, I feel like this was a lot easier than expected to take in, mostly because my boyfriend is so supportive. I hope everyone out there has someone like him.

Any thoughts on how I may have received the HSV2 virus?

Post subject: Re: open for opinions
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:52 pm 

Welcome to the board :)

Was your culture typed? In your age group, hsv1 is the most common cause of genital herpes from receiving oral sex. Give your provider a call tuesday and ask if the culture was just + for herpes or if it was specifically typed for hsv1 or hsv2.

has your current partner had a herpes igg blood test done yet?

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 am 

My doctor never really made it clear what type it came back positive for, that was an excellent point. I called her back and it was HSV-1. & He has not, is it a good idea for him to go get the blood test?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:37 am 

If he can't recall ever having had cold sores then indeed he'll need to seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test to know his own status.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]