ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Just tested positive
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:16 pm 

Hi, I recently tested positive for Herpes. I have never been tested for Herpes in my 38 years but decided to get tested as I was getting blood work done anyways.

I have never had a Herpes outbreak that I'm aware of and I have never had cold sores that I'm aware of either.

I have been married for almost 2 years and it has been well over 3 years since I have been with anyone other than my wife. I know my wife doesn't have Herpes since we had a child 9 months ago and she was tested for Herpes and it was negative.

If my wife does not have Herpes, and I have obviously had the virus for 3+ years, if not more, how has my wife not contracted the virus since we have had a lot of unprotected sex in the past 3 years. We want to try for another child soon but I'm scared of giving her the virus. Any thoughts on how she hasn't contracted the virus?

Also, is there anything I can do to reduce the chances of here contracting the virus as we try to have another child? I was thinking of using a condom and just cutting the tip off to let the sperm be released. Will this help reduce the chances of her contracting the virus?

Sorry, one more question. I don't have the best doctor in the world which I'm starting to realize now. Should I get retested as this just doesn't add up to me. He said it wouldn't matter and would be a waste of my time. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Just tested positive
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 4:56 pm 

welcome to the board :)

If you call and get the results of your blood testing to post here, I can much better help you see if you need additional confirmatory testing done or not. All you need to post are the actual numeric results - e.g. hsv1 igg 8.98 and hsv2 igg 2.2 or whatever they are.

Also make sure your wife was definitely tested for herpes when she was pregnant. it's not a part of routine pregnancy testing so she might not have been.

So if you really do have herpes ( you didn't mention in your post if it was hsv1, hsv2 or both you tested + for ), why isn't your wife positive too? Really herpes isn't as contagious as folks think it is.

Once we confirm your status I will gladly give you more info on precautions for pregnancy.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]