ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: DEPRESSED AND CONFUSED
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:02 am 
I just found out Tuesday I tested positive for hsv2 (igg 3.14) and hsv1 (igg 5) I'm really upset, sad, and just feeling overall really down. I've never had any known outbreaks and this took me totally by surprise. I went to my Ob-gyn dr today for a pap smear and to ask general questions. She told me I don't need any medicines because I am Asymptomatic, is this true? I thought i would need to be on meds for preventative purposes... Also are there any books/reading material/support groups to help with the emotional stress of being diagnosed, as I'm taking it pretty hard and finding it hard to cope with being diagnosed with this? :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:21 am 

Welcome to the forum!

Your hsv2 igg is a low positive and will need confirmed with further testing. When you talk to your provider about this, if they are unaware of this issue, encourage them to read the 2010 CDC herpes guidelines to better educate themselves about the herpes igg blood testing that they are offering. It's very important that they do so! A herpes WB is the best blood test you can get to confirm your status. If your provider uses quest labs, it's test #34534. It's a send out so your local quest lab might be a little confused but if they look hard enough, they can find the info they need to send it to the U of washington to be done.

The herpes info here on the main asha site is informative as well as I recommend the free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com. At this point confirm your status as well as if you have a regular partner, they'll need tested too to know their own status.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:09 pm 

Well I went back for testing a week later and was told the herpesselect type 2 was positive this time igg 5.16, my initial one the week before was 3.14. I'm still having trouble emotionally, I can't stop crying, I've Isolated myself and can't seem to focus on anything but this. My sister is the only one who knows and she doesn't offer much emotional support so it's really hard on me. My sexual partner was tested and it came back positive igg 1.17 he went back for confirmation and it was negative. I'm trying to learn to adjust and accept it.

My question now is should I get the WesternBlot to be 100% sure or since the herpesselect is way above 3.5 am I without a doubt positive already?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:14 pm 

Oh yea wanted to add I was tested by my obgyn on April 21 (last month) and it had came back negative <0.91. Me and the partner mentioned above had been together more than 9 times since that April test and the positive test at the end of may. I was with one other person once so I'm assuming it was likely from them, especially seeing that my regular guy is negative.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:18 pm 

wait 4 months after you had had sex with the other partner and get the WB and go from there to settle this .

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]