ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:15 am 

My male friend is terrified that he may contact herpes 2 from me as he stopped using condoms during the last few weeks. Now he's finding it difficult to go back to using them again. We've been having sex for the last 3 years and he feels it is only a matter of time. Do you know of other women beside yourself who do not use condoms after a while and have not transmitted this disease yet? I also take meds.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:56 pm 

2% risk of transmission vs 1% risk isn't really all that statistically significant.

Most of my friends with herpes don't use condoms in their long term relationships either. You just tend to get more comfortable with the low risk as time goes on in a relationship I think.

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:14 pm 

betsyb1967 wrote:
2% risk of transmission vs 1% risk isn't really all that statistically significant.

betsy

Hi Betsy,
I'm new to these boards but unfortunately not HSV. Can you tell me where you got these % risk of transmission numbers? I have recently met someone new and he's having a very hard time coming to terms with the fact that 18 years ago I contracted HSV1 genitally through oral sex. I have had 2 to 3 outbreaks since then and nothing in years. I do not take meds.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:32 pm 

the risk is even lower for hsv1 genitally.

has he been tested yet to know his own status? even if he can't recall ever having had a cold sore, he very well might have hsv1 orally himself.

in canada, getting type specific herpes igg blood testing takes being very firm with your provider to order it and you also have to pay out of pocket.

there is terrific info on herpes here on the main asha site and also in the free herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com. The handbook was written by Terri Warren who is on asha's advisory board.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]