ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:50 am 

After thinking that I had a yeast infection that wouldn't go away, I discovered one healing lesion on the outside of my vagina and several rash like blisters and severe itching around the anus as well as fever like symptoms. I went to the doctor and was told he thought I had herpes. He took cultures and I was later told it was herpes. I was given Valtrex for 10 days. A couple weeks later and after my period I had another mild outbreak and was given 5 more days on Valtrex. One week after I thought it was gone, it came back. It's been a week now and this outbreak has been worse than the last. Everything seems to be inside the vagina with one small pimple like bump on the outside. The worst part is the feelings I'm getting. Off and on twitching, itching, burning, pricklies. During the night is the worst. I wake up feeling like I'm going to be covered in bumps. I don't really see any signs now, but it doesn't feel like it's over. Everything looks lumpy and bumpy inside the vagina, but I don't know if that is normal. I didn't spend much time looking down there before all of this. Every time I think it is over, it seems to come back. I'm afraid that sex will trigger it again. I am now on daily Valtrex. My Doctor said the cultures were not typed, so I don't know if it is type 1 or 2 yet. I've been married 21 years and had very limited experiences before that. My husband has only been with me. None of this has made any sense. I also had some odd bruising a few months before all of this called erythema nodosum. I believe it is all somehow connected. I'm wondering if this happened years ago and I didn't have an "initial" outbreak until recently. I've had "yeast' infections over the years. I'm also wondering is if these are separate outbreaks or just one that won't go away. It has been a long couple of months! Any insight would be helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:49 am 

Welcome to the board :)

I recommend that you go back to be seen monday or tuesday and get another exam done. Make sure that they test you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too. if they try to tell you that there is no reason to, be very insistent! About 1/2 of women with bv don't have obvious discharge or odor but yet bv is very common and is known to make herpes more active. I'm guessing you have a vaginitis going on right now that has triggered a recurrence as well as is adding to all your issues :(

Both you and hubby will need to seek out type specific herpes igg blood tests to see who has what. At this point it probably will not be very helpful for figuring out if this is a newly acquired infection for you or not but it is important to know what type you have as well as who has what so you can start making educated decisions about precautions and treatments.

stop back and let us know how your appointment went :)

betsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:30 pm 

Thanks Betsy! I have a bacterial infection, just like you guessed. Maybe I can finally get a handle on all of this. I also had blood drawn and will soon see what's what. Will work on hubby next.
Thank you so much for all you do. I have learned a lot from reading these posts. You have a gift for helping so many at a time when they are scared, confused, and sad!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:41 pm 

hopefully once you treat the infection, your herpes will be less of an issue too :)

betsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:35 pm 

Well I now know that I have Type 1. Unfortunately after taking meds for the bv, I now have thrush. Been on meds for that for 6 days and it is still there! It has been an ongoing nightmare! I still am very parinoid at every little discomfort in the vaginal area, but can't see anything. I think I'm okay for now. Keeping my fingers crossed that I will get it all under control soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:09 am 

so your lesion culture was hsv1+?

sometimes it's hard to get vaginitis under control :( Getting the chunkies after using vaginal flagyl is pretty common so make sure that they are actually testing you for yeast and not just looking and saying yeast. are you using vaginal yeast treatment or oral diflucan?

betsy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:26 am 

No, it was a blood test. I was only told originally that it was herpes from the culture and when I asked later, was told it wasn't typed and I would need a blood test later to find out. The blood test was several months later. Type 1 makes a lot more sense with my history, so I haven't questioned the results. He didn't give me any numbers and I didn't ask.
As for the yeast infection, it is in my mouth. I am taking oral diflucan. I'm worrying that it is not working because it is day 7 and my tongue is still white and bothering me. I have 2 more 3 day pills left. I'm not having any unusual discharge in the vaginal area, only twinges here and there. Is the yeast infection affecting that area to? I've never noticed one in my mouth before, so I don't really know how it works. I don't know if I am being extra sensitive or if I still have infections going on. I'd like to not think about that area so much! I saw an ad on tv for Rephresh Pro B. Would something like that help me get everything balanced?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm 

Has hubby been tested to know his status too just to cover the bases?

If you have oral yeast, you may very well have it genitally too. if by mid week your mouth isn't cleared up, return to be seen again.

the rephresh pro b is for vaginitis/uti prevention in women. It's not a probiotic that will be useful for oral fungal overgrowth. something like culturelle would be better for that. you can find culturelle at walmart, cvs as well as online.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]