ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:23 am 

Hi gang,
Haven't been on here in awhile but it looks like I might be gearing up for another go-round with our friend HPV. About a year and a half ago I was diagnosed with cervical dysplasia/CIN 1, and I have had two negative paps in a row and am waiting on the third.
After that traumatizing experience, I got my Gardasil shots.
I found out that I was exposed to genital warts two weeks ago via an ex who suspected he had hpv but didn't tell me. I didn't come in contact with the actual part that had the lesions, but I understand that doesn't much matter. He had his diagnosis confirmed by a doctor two days ago.
I guess my question is, what degree of protection can I assume I have from Gardasil having already had one strain before getting the vaccine? I started the vaccine regimen at age 25 and finished at age 26, and had only had two sexual partners beforehand.
I have been experiencing some minor itching but I get this from time to time and am not sure if it is related.
I am having a very hard time and would appreciate any insight anyone can offer. I also made an appointment with my doctor for next week who knows my medical history well.
Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:44 am 
Site Admin

Hi gal,

Thanks for your post. Gardasil can still be of value to those with a previous diagnosis of HPV, because it's unlikely someone will have all four HPV types the vaccine covers and you can still be protected from vaccine-types of HPV to which you haven't been exposed. In addition to covering "high risk" HPV types 16 and 18, Gardasil also protects against "low risk" HPV types 6 and 11 which are found with about 90% of genital warts. Good for you in getting the vaccine, so many who are eligible never do!

Post anytime you have questions.

Best,
Fredo

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]