ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:41 pm 

Hi all -
My partner has Herpes and I do not. He has been fortunate enough not to have an outbreak in over 10 years. I understand that I can still be exposed even though there isn't an outbreak but am wondering what the best options are for limiting my exposure. He is willing to consider suppressive medication if there is a significant reduction in risk to me. How much will that reduce the risk? Are there other options for us to consider?
Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:31 am 

Are you male or female?

have you been tested to know your status?

does your partner have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

betsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:01 pm 

Hi Betsy -
I am a woman. I have been tested for both 1 and 2 and am negative. My partner (male) has HSV 2.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:42 am 

If you did nothing but avoid sex anytime he had anything going on genitally, you'd be 90-92% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from him. If he takes daily suppressive therapy and you use condoms in addition to that, you'd be 97-98% likely each year NOT to contract hsv2 from him. Pretty reasonable odds without a lot of extra effort at all.

keep asking questions!

betsy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:27 pm 

Hello again -
That's great news, thanks! I was under the impression that Herpes was spread fairly easily even when you Do Not have an outbreak due to the shedding of cells. Is that not the case anymore?

Also, is there anything I can do to boost my immune system to lessen the risk even further? I know that nothing is 100% - well one thing is but I wouldn't be asking questions if that was going to happen! :-) - but is there any way to bring the risk down even lower?

Thanks for all you do!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:58 pm 

nothing you can take to lower your risk even more.

he can still transmit the virus even when there isn't an obvious lesion present. his being on daily suppressive therapy keeps viral shedding very low both with and without obvious lesions.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]