ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: oral supplements
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:01 pm 

What's your take on oral supplements? Lysine for skin/tissue health, lecithin for nerve cell health, selenium/Emergen-C/Echinacea for immune system... The alphabet-vitamins (A, B, C, D, E...)
I remember reading a study/article years ago about the use of supplements making more likely diseases & illnesses...? (of course, at this point, that's all I can remember)

One other thing- I read somewhere, in a post here, about using a barrier cream such as Zinc or Aquaphor to help heal lesions? Did I comprehend that correctly? I thought we wanted to keep them dry as possible to speed healing? (My boyfriend wants to use alcohol on them. I said, UH, NO.)

Post subject: Re: oral supplements
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:02 pm 

My apologies, I also meant to ask about taking Lysine supplements while taking ST at the same time... Too much on the body?

Post subject: Re: oral supplements
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:11 pm 

lysine isn't really effective at all on genital herpes. we don't recommend its use. most of us get more than enough anyways in our diets. the lysine/arginine theory was disproven for herpes many years ago.

suppressive therapy does all the work for you and reduces shedding significantly. no need for anything else. the other supplements you mentioned also are not effective for herpes. You have to be careful online - many sites recommend supplements that are traditionally used for viral illness and healing of skin issues without them having any testing to see if they are effective at all for herpes and sometimes despite testing saying they have no effectiveness for treating herpes :(

yes you can use a barrier cream on herpes lesions to help protect them from urine running over them and adding to your pain.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]