ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Skin Sensitivity
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:05 pm 

I was diagnosed in September. I have been taking Valtrex since then. I have had a few more mild outbreaks. My issue that I can't seem to resolve is the skin sensitivity and little cuts that appear in the genital area in between the obivous outbreaks. I don't know if the little papercut like lesions are really an outbreak or if my skin is always sensitive because of the damage done during the outbreak. Is there anything that can be done to improve your skin's strength and decrease sensitivity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:19 am 

Hi daliamichelle,

The papercut-like lesions could be part of an outbreak. Symptoms can vary from person to person sometimes appearing as papercuts in the folds of the vagina. If this is the case, we would expect for them to come and go within 2 to 12 days as all outbreaks would. Herpes rarely if ever causes any type of permanent mark or scarring and skin should return back to normal. This includes the sensitivity of the skin.

One important item - we do not recommend putting any over-the-counter creams or ointments on a symptom regardless of its location. Those items can simply make things worse and/or cause irritations. So letting your body run its course alone without topical treatment is best. Taking the Valtrex should help with these symptoms if they are indeed an outbreak.

Also, since you contracted the virus in September, it's still considered pretty early and your body is still in the early process of fighting the virus. But, as we speak your immune system is getting stronger and stronger. Most people find that they eventually do not need medications for their outbreaks because their own body can respond so well. Most people find that symptoms decrease in severity and frequency with time.

In terms of what you can do, do anything to boost your immune system. Good diet, good nutrition, exercise, etc. - all the routine things that are good for anyone can help the body respond.

With all this said, if you continue to notice the paperlike cuts and they never go away, we encourage you to speak with your health care provider. She or he may be able to discuss some possible causes and treatment options.

Thanks,
Mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]