ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: recurring
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:30 am 

Are we alone? Does anyone else deal with this same issue? We ( my husband ) deals with recurring HSV 2 almost every day. Maybe 5 days out of the month he has no painful symptoms. He has tried taking Acyclovir and Valtrex, a very large dose. Although he didn't finish the treatments with any of the RX's. He says they don't work, but you have to be on the Rx's for awhile for them to work right?Not just 1 week or 1 month. Somebody please respond. WE need help! Our marriage is in shredds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:37 am 

Hi nodnarb,

Sorry to hear about the frequent symptoms. In terms of daily suppressive therapy, yes, the meds should be taken for a continuous period of time to see results. Try them for a few months at least. If your husband hasn't tried Famvir (different drug but also available for suppressive therapy), he may want to consider that as an option. Some people respond better to it than Valtrex/Zovirax (and vice versa).

In terms of alternatives, only the FDA-approved medications have been clinically proven to help with herpes. But some people have reported beneficial effects from taking L-Lysine, an amino acid. Note that it's not been proven to help with herpes, but some people think it helps. It can be found in most any pharmacy or drug store around the other vitamins and minerals. If taken, we recommend taking the recommended dosage on the bottle.

Also, if your husband can boost his immune system - good diet, exercise, managing stress as best as possible, etc., that will help his body respond better to the virus. It was unclear how long your husband has had the virus, but most people find that symptoms become less severe and less frequent in time.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:52 am 

HI Mike,
Thanks for replying. I've heard of the Lysine. I asked him to try it but he won't. I have researched so many different vitamins and herbs and natural treatments, I've even bought a liquid named Chlorphor. It was garanteed to work Blah, Blah. It wasn't cheap either. But I was willing to try anything so I can help him. but you know there isn't anything.
I work in a infectious disease medical practice. Hum how ironic huh. My husband saw one of them she was one of the younger ones of the docs she saw him as a courtesy to me. She is a good doc but to wrong things about the whole appointment was one she was a female (uncomfortable for him) and she didn't quite have the finesse yet of wording things.She said she didn't know what to say and she couldn't help him she she had alaready ahd him try the valtrex 1 gram a day for so many days and all this.It didn't work in the week so he just stop taking it and threw them in the toliet. I should have asked our other very experienced docs which I did eventually because I wasn't satisfied with her diagnosis, but then he was so irrate with the whole appointment he swore no more doctors and now I can't get him to any appointments. And I asked one of the docs if the stuff was legit after it was delivered and he just said it was snake oil.My husband eventually tried it to. I guess out of desperation. It didn't work liked it stated. He did say it helped a little but he said it didn't heal as fast as it stated. My husband wants the miracle cure. I just don't know anymore.
You know sometimes when I do get a chance to see him I don't see anything. I don't see the irritation or any lesions. He just says it's the itching and burning on his penis that drives him crazy where he would just like to cut it off. Then he's so angry with me and hates me and then the whole cycle begins the silence and if there is any communication it's ugly words or names. He's been sleeping on the couch since Monday we actually had sex on Friday and Saturday night. Boy that was a surprise! But then the next day in the evening he started complaining. Then he says this all the time he's never having sex with me again, and that everytime he has sex with me he starts itching and burning and he get's mad at me all over again.
You know I'm starting to wonder if he just says that now as an excuse to stay away form meand that he is seeing someone else. I know that this is out in left field but he's acting weird. He sleeps on the couch or on our bedroom floor he dresses in the bathroom with the door closed which he never used to do that. He says he doesn't want to sleep in our bed because he doesn't want to have sex with me. I don't know anymore this is driving me crazy!
I have started seeing a counselor for myself. Our marriage has took a major dive. I don't think we're gonna come out it. I started looking for an apartment for me and the kids because I don't think I could handle the rent of our house by myself. I'm so lost. This is been going on for about a year and half. We have been married for 6 yrs.
I don't know am I grasping? Our marriage is so messed up and I'm so scared, confused and feel alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:15 am 

MIke I forgot to mention yes- I did have an IGg test blood and vaginal culture and when I did the culture I had know symptoms I just went to satify my husband and myself. But when the results came back on the vaginal culture it positive. the tests read HSV 1+ and HSV 2 + IGg but when my husbands test results came back they only read ositive genital herpes it didn't say anything like mine and he only had culture no blood he at the time had a little lesion. He had a uroligist test him but he was a very good doctor the doctor didn't talk very much with him about the test results or see him after the results my husband just got the results over the phone and that was that. But he had had breakouts before he said in the beginning of our relationship but he said he wasn't sure what was going on. we actually thought it was heat rash. And the issue wasn't constant like it is now. Since the last year and half since we actually confirmed what the issue was on his person he has had non stop breakouts that he complains about. And our marriage has slowly deterioated.
I actually like this, I appreciate the fact that I can share these thoughts and feelings with someone who can relate and possible others can relate of what I write. Thank you for this site. I almost don't feel so alone right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:23 am 

Hi nodnarb. I'm so sorry for what you're going through right now. I don't have any insight, your experience is very different than mine. But you said that this forum almost made you feel like you weren't alone, so I just wanted to say that you aren't.

I hope that you and your husband can heal your relationship if that's what you want. Good luck to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:01 am 

I had a relationship end over this, but the truth is, there are other drugs out there. He is upset because he feels like he didn't deserve this and he just wants to have a normal sex life and it's so frustrating to have sex and then suffer afterwards - the friction causes outbreaks.

Has he tried Famvir? It works for me - Acyclovir and Valtrex don't work for me. He should try it on a daily basis, and take Lysine and see if this helps-plus cutting out stress, as that causes outbreaks.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]