ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:31 pm 

My daughter recently contracted the virus via a boyfriend who was well aware that he had it. She was told, not by him but by the girl that gave it to him who had also told him as soon as she knew. Soon after my daughter began having terrible, painful breakouts and has had them frequently for the past 3 months since. Is there anyway of controlling such irresponsiblity!? I believe there used to be a way to call these kind of people down and find out who their victims may have been and to educate them on the consequences of their behavior. Is there something like this now or is the transmission of these diseases becoming completely out of control? Please, someone let me know if there is anything that can be done. Thank you. cbg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:59 am 

Hi cbg,

Laws about disclosure of a transmittable condition vary greatly from state to state. It depends on what state you are in, so we encourage you to check with your State Bar Association, check with your local Health department or contact a local lawyer in your area. You might even be able to research the laws yourself on your state's website.

It may help to know that laws may not specifically mention herpes (unlike HIV for example where many laws exist). The laws often refer to a person knowing about their transmittable condition or STD/STI and not telling a sexual partner. Somewhat related to your email is the fact that herpes is not a reportable STD/STI in most states. This would be a separate discussion from legal issues.

Regarding your daughter, please pass along ASHA's resources and materials to her. She's probably dealing with a lot right now, but let her know things do get better - getting accurate information is important. There are lots of misconceptions and preconceived notions about herpes.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:32 pm 

Hi Mike, Thank you for the information I will start to research it at once. I will post any findings, as well, that are relevant to Texas. These thing are so easily passed along innocently that I believe that people that pass it intentionally should be held accountable, especially adults who should no better. The boy is 23! Again I appreciate it and I am urging my daughter to visit this site.

cbg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:05 am 

You might find this page useful:

http://www.genital-herpes-corner.com/he ... e-law.html

But also this one:

http://www.genital-herpes-corner.com/he ... ation.html

I don't know if legal action is always the best way to go though.

Good luck.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]