ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:27 am 

I was diagnosed with genital herpes in the beginning of Nov. 06. I was treated with both zovirax and valrax and am taking valtrax 500mg once daily. I still have genital itching since my first outbreak. How long are symptoms supposed to last? I became engaged a week before I was diagnosed and although my fiancee is very supportive, we have not been intimate since. Is it always like this, or will I feel relief again, even for a little while to be with my fiancee again. Thanks for the support. Rosey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:23 am 

Hi Rosey,

Mike here with ASHA.

In terms of a single outbreak of herpes, symptoms normally heal within 2 to 12 days with or without treatment. But, initial outbreaks or first outbreaks can sometimes last longer - possibly three to four weeks. Anything longer than that is uncommon and may not be related to herpes.

But, there is something called post-herpetic neuralgia (PHN) that is not too common, but can occur after visible symptoms heal. It can be a tingling, numbing or itching sensation that can persist for long periods of time - sometimes months. This may not be what you're experiencing, but it's possible.

You didn't mention it, but if you happen to be putting anything topical on the genital area, we'd recommend not doing so. Sometimes over-the-counter creams or ointments can make matters worse causing irritation or discomfort to last longer than normal.

With all this being said, outbreaks of herpes usually get better with time, so since you likely first contracted the virus in November, your body is still getting used to the virus. We wouldn't expect it to continue on this pattern. Your body's immune system is getting better at fighting it right now and any outbreaks should decrease in severity and frequency with time. Medications are great, but most people end up needing no medications for their outbreaks.

Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:00 pm 

I encourage you to return to your gyn rosey for a further work up. What is incredibly common for us gals with the first herpes ob is vaginitis ( post - herpetic neuralgia thankfully isn't as common with genital herpes as it is with shingles ). The first ob lasts the longest and can alter our delicate ph balance in our vagina enough to let both yeast and bacteria over grow. One of the hallmark symtoms of BV ( bacterial vaginosis ) is an itch - one that will drive you halfway insane even if left untreated!!! You shouldn't be guessing at home whether you have bv or yeast since typically you guess wrong most of the time ( everyone thinks yeast when it's more likely to be bv ). Go be seen, get a wet mount done of your vaginal secretions to look for yeast and bacteria along with a ph test and a "whiff" test and go from there.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]