ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 pm 

I have had genital herpes for 15 years, with the outbreaks occuring less and less over time, with and without the use of Valtrex (I am not currently taking it). However, just recently, I've been dealing with a painful sore on my mouth, which i thought was due to having dry lips. I have never had any symtoms orally, so I am perplexed. Could the herpes all of sudden start appearing this way too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:40 am 

If it's been there for longer than 2 weeks and doesn' t seem to be healing then it's not a bad idea to follow up with your doctor. it could be herpes, it could be bacterial or fungal or it could even be another viral illness or a skin reaction to something.

there's no easy way to tell if this is a previous hsv infection ( most likely hsv1 ) that is just now giving you trouble or not if it turns out to be hsv. were you ever tested before to know if you have hsv1 and/or hsv2? I'm guessing that 15 years ago you were probably just given a lesion culture and possibly a typing though just the assumption that it's hsv2 was also a possibility too. Studies have found that hsv2 genitally gives you significant protection against contracting hsv1 orally after the fact but not 100% protection of course.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:04 am 

Hi lolo69,

Betsy's comments are correct. Also, know that genital herpes would not travel internally from the genital area to the mouth. Regardless of whether it's caused by HSV-1 or HSV-2, genital herpes stays in the genital area. Hence the name "genital" herpes.

If the symptom you described is caused by herpes (and it may not be), it's oral herpes and most likely something you've had since childhood. Most people contract oral herpes when they are children from kissing a parent, relative, friend, etc. Stats vary depending on the population studied, but anywhere from 50% to 90% of adults in the US have oral herpes. It's uncommon not to have it.

If it has been dormant in you for this long, something could have weakened the immune system causing the recent outbreak. It's difficult to impossible to pinpoint, but some possible reasons include physical or emotional stress, fatigue, lack of good diet or sleep, overexposure to the sun, and/or a combination of these factors. Basically, anything that could weaken the immune system could cause an outbreak to occur. Also, sometimes people have oral herpes outbreaks but not genital outbreaks (and vice versa) for no rhyme or reason. The good news is that if it has been dormant in your body for a long time, that's a good sign that your body has been handling it quite well. We would expect the same in the future.

Thanks,
Mike

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]