ASHA STI Message Board
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

National Cervical Cancer Coalition

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: shared body soap?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:39 am 

I have serious question. A friend of mine asked me this today. Can you get the herpes virus from sharing regular body soap in the family shower? Someone please with the knowledge share this answer with me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:58 am 

No - herpes is easily killed with soap and water. It won't live on the soap in the bathroom to infect others. The fats in the soap disable the virus.

Herpes is transmitted thru direct skin on skin contact with the infected area of the person who has the virus. You won't get it thru routine day to day contact or thru bathrooms/toilets.

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:09 pm 

thank you Betsy, what about thru birth. I've had 5 children and like I said before I have never had any systems of herpes. I did ask my childrens pediatricain as soon as me and my husband began this awful ordeal.she said no and my ob/gyn's were very thorough in my prenatal care and i took very good care of myself as well. My chilldren are ages 21yrs, 171/2, 14,10 and 5yrs old now we have had no issues. I was planning to have my 17 1/2 son in for his physical and request a blood test because he has no visual systems on his person. He is now concerned about this issue because someone told him because his mom has herpes (antibodies ) that he has herpes because I do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:23 pm 

If you had transmitted a genital herpes infection to your children during birth - they would've been visibly ill soon after birth and would've required hospitalization. Your children don't need tested just because mom and/or dad has genital herpes. If mom and/or dad has oral herpes - then I'd say yes get tested once they are starting to become sexually active just to see what your status is since hsv1 genitally is very prevalent in the under 30 years of age group nowadays and knowing their status will help them and their partner make educated decisions about oral sex precautions. If they know they get cold sores - then no reason to get tested if they've never been sexually active before. Cold sores are almost always caused by hsv1 which can be transmitted to the genital area thru oral sex - even when obvious symptoms aren't present ( just one more thing to add to your "sex talk" with your kids - send them to www.iwannaknow.org - it's terrific and aimed at teens and managed by asha too ).

betsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:48 pm 

Even if I (mom) has had the blood test for hsv1 and hsv2 and carries both antibodies for hsv1 and hsv2 but is asymptomatic on both oral or genital?
I should have the kids tested for oral (hsv 1) threw a blood test? None of my kids have had any visual signs of cold sores or anything to that nature on their mouths or any genitals either. Except one of my boys gets extremely bad chapped lips because he sucks on his lip. ( 10 yr).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:56 am 

The blood tests aren't recommended for children under 14 years of age. when they are older and sexually active - knowing if they contracted hsv1 orally as a child is a good idea for them and their partners. Even if they don't ever get oral symptoms - if they test hsv1+ they can still transmit the virus both orally and genitally to a partner so knowing their status then is a good idea.

betsy

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]