ASHA recognizes April each year as STI Awareness Month. Given a recent report on the number (and costs) of STIs in America each year, the theme for 2013’s observation is STIs by the Numbers. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Each year in the U.S. there are 20 million new STI cases
- The medical costs for these new cases are a staggering $16 billion
- Adding the new cases each year with existing infection, there are an estimated 110 million total STIs among Americans
This is an important time in the field of sexual health and STIs. The coming months and years will see key provisions of the Affordable Care Act
(ACA) kick in that cover preventive health services, including access without a co-pay to Pap tests, HPV tests, contraception and testing/counseling for sexually transmitted infections.
ASHA continues to offer plain-language resources for education and support around STIs, including tools for patients, partners, parents, and health professionals. Take some time and explore what we offer, both for STI Resource Month and beyond:
- STI Awareness Month press release
- Polls throughout the month on STI topics
- STI Resource Center online: detailed information on transmission, treatment, testing, prevention, and partners
- ASHA’s blog
- Facebook and Twitter posts and feeds
- Just for parents: guide on talking to your kids about STIs and sexual health
- Health professionals: Herpes and HPV Toolkits, patient counseling guides, and more
- 20% of ASHA products during April (enter coupon code AWARE2013 when placing your order to recevie the discount).